Moving house is no easy task and often it can be one of the most stressful things we experience. The trick to handling the move and avoiding stress is to make a plan and stick to it. Organisation is the key to a well-managed move, but we understand that you might not have time to get organised what with a whole house to relocate. That’s why we’ve put together the following useful moving house checklist.
Two months to moving day
- Start by stocktaking and decluttering. Go from room to room creating an itemised list of everything you have. In a separate column, make a note whether you are going to keep, discard or donate the item. Be really thorough with your decluttering so you don’t end up having to do another clean out during unpack. Consider donating your unwanted goods to the St Vincent de Paul Society with Grace’s convenient Vinnies partnership.
- Start working down your perishable foods now so you don’t have to rush to do it later.
- Create your itemised budget for all expenses related to moving. Once you’ve got your budget, start collecting quotes for moving companies. For an obligation-free quote with Grace Removals, visit our easy online quote tool.
- Let your family and friends know that you’re moving and notify your change of address with local council, government and your children’s school.
- Start thinking about furniture for your new home if you need it. You’ll be able to arrange delivery of your furniture or appliances for the day you move in.
One month to moving day
- Start setting aside the important documents you need so you don’t lose them in amongst your moving boxes on the day of the move. Don’t forget to put aside the children’s school reports because you’ll need those when enrolling them into a new school.
- If you’re renting it’s time to notify your landlord of your final day in the property.
- Arrange the sale of any of the goods you won’t be taking with you or donating to charity. You might want to hold a garage sale or list them online to sell.
Two weeks to moving day
- Plan the transportation of your pets and vehicle if you’re moving interstate or internationally. Grace offer reliable and safe pet relocation and vehicle transfer services for your convenience.
- Reconfirm your move date with your removalist and finalise any paperwork that may need to be completed before then.
- If you’re not hiring a removalist to do the packing for you, it’s time to start packing your things into boxes. Start with the rooms and things you won’t need between now and the first week in your new home. Be sure to follow best packing practice to avoid damage to your belongings in transit.
One week to moving day
- Redirect your mail to your new address through the post office and update the address on your license and registration for vehicles.
- Finalise your utility connection to gas, water, electricity and internet. Get connected for free with Grace Connect.
- Cancel any of your subscriptions or redirect them to your new address.
- Dispose of any dangerous goods and empty the rubbish bins.
- Defrost the freezer.
- Map out the layout of your new home so you know exactly where to deliver your new furniture too.
- Turn off all the gas, water and electricity.
- Clean the house before you leave.
- Clean the new house before you start unpacking your belongings. Grace home cleaning services can take care of this for you.
- Check that nothing has been left behind before you lock the door.
We’ve also put together a comprehensive and responsive moving checklist you can tick off as you go. Ready to start moving? Let Grace take the majority of your moving day to-do list off your hands. We offer a range of specialist removal services so you can sit back and enjoy the experience. Get in touch with us today to start planning your house move.