Moving to the UK is one of the most popular rites of passage for working Australians. However, moving there is not without its red tape. Whether you’re embarking on a two year working holiday, or you’re relocating for good, there are a number of legal requirements you’ll need to consider before making the move.


Choosing the visa that’s right for you can be difficult to determine as the visa you need depends on your reasons for relocating to the UK. Here are the types of visas you can apply for:

  • Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme)
    Allows eligible Australian and New Zealand citizens to work and travel the UK for two years
  • Ancestry
    Based on having a UK-born grandparent. It’s one of the most popular visas to acquire permanent status to live and work in the UK
  • Employer sponsored
    An employer may be able to sponsor your stay if you provide skilled services
  • Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)
    For those who are looking to set up or take over and run a business in the UK
  • Partner
    Bringing your partner to live and work with you in the UK

You’ll need to have your visa sorted and applied for before you arrive in the UK.


Many of the banks in the UK are larger international banks which means you might not need to find a new one. However, you might need to open a new bank account in order to make payments and receive funds from employers. If you’d rather not open a new bank account, look into borderless multi-currency transfers. For the best advice, speak to your current bank and do your research, especially where exchange rates are concerned.

Living arrangements

You’ll need to sort out your living arrangements as soon as possible to avoid having to pay higher fees at hotels. Not much of the UK population rents, but that doesn’t make it impossible for you to do so. If you’re having trouble finding a rental on your own, get in touch with a local real estate agent. They’ll be able to point you in the right direction.


As a citizen of the UK, you have access to the National Health Service (NHS). The healthcare system gives you access to see a doctor at little or no cost without personal health insurance. The agreement Australia has with the UK may cover some of your medical costs in the UK. This covers necessary medical care that is covered by the NHS and does not include non-subsidised medicine from pharmacies and dental services. For more information, visit the Australian Department of Human Services website.

Emergency contacts

Make sure you have emergency contacts at the ready. For general emergencies including ambulance and fire brigade, 999 is the number you’ll need to know. It’s also worth noting down the Australian embassy’s emergency number, 020 7379 4334. Keep a record of your important bank and doctor contact details to be on the safe side.

If you have any questions regarding the legalities of relocating from Australia to the UK, speak to your dedicated Grace Mobility Specialist.